Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Nursery is Painted!



There is only so much you can do while you are waiting for your child to come home. But a fun thing is to get the nursery in order.

Obviously this would be easier to do if I knew we were having a boy or a girl, but we don't and we may not find out till the last minute. So I was just messing around on the Target.com site and looking at all the things I could get for a new baby and I happened upon a fun bedding set that was totally me while being totally neutral.

I nearly decided against it because the company making it is called "Babylicious" which makes me think of that little twerp on Project Runway who calls everything "Licious" this and "Licious" that and I sure don't want a Babylicious. I'll take a baby, thanks.

But ultimately good taste won out over idiocy and I bought it. It arrived last week and I love it.

Here's a little preview:



The only difference is that it didn't arrive with the checkerboard along the inside, which I am hearing as a complaint from many people. It has stripes instead. But I don't much care, I bought it for the polka dots.

So anyway, above you can see the before shot. Someone had plastered a lovely Americana border around the top of the room, which apparently complimented the forest green they painted the baseboards, window frames, and closet doors. (And for added fun, you can see the bunny supplies.) Well, Lucas more or less took care of the forest green issues, and I spent Sunday ripping down the wallpaper border. Unfortunately, and much to my chagrin, the people had slapped it up there to hide the fact that the crappy paint they used in the first place was cracked and peeling. So I had to repair that first.

Ultimately, I decided on a real sassy green for the nursery. Despite my current aversion to Home Depot, they were having a sale on paint this weekend, and I happen to love Behr Paint, and they happened to have a color I was in love with in their chips, and so I temporarily forgave them for the flooring debacle.

Here is the color on the walls:



The color is called Honeydew, and I think you'll agree it's quite sassy. It also matches beautifully with the color of the bedding and I really love it. It's very fresh and spring-y. Now that the room is painted, I can put down flooring. The next task will be the flooring, but I'm already 2 strikes down and starting to get discouraged just a little bit.

Anyway, Lucas was down this weekend, so the paint went up in under 2 hours for 2 coats. Turns out he is an excellent painter. I took the high road and he took the low road and we shared the cutting in. I'm going to be looking for some cute little switchplate and outlet covers and then once the flooring is in, I can work on finding furniture.

But it's nice to see something tangible in place. Oh and TomTom is still high as a kite on paint fumes!!! And seriously angry about all the disruptions in HIS room. Since we keep calling it The Bunny Room, does this mean we can call Baby Kosior "the bunny" until s/he gets here?

6 comments:

manda said...

I am a behr paint addict. I should have gone with that shade in my kitchen, but good luck in getting jason to repaint it. I'm still trying to get my Merlot (a beautiful behr paint color) repainted white. It's halfway done, and has been halfway done- for a couple of months. Send Lucas my way.

If you find a blue- think lighthouse cottage denimlicous blue. Lemme know. K. Thnx.

Lauren said...

Love that color! So bright and cheerful. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kate and Susan

I'm the founder of Babylicious and the designer of Happy! I'm so glad you found our bedding and that you like it so much. Your paint colour is FANTASTIC and it matches wonderfully. check out our blog - we just posted a family yesterday that painted the dots onto the wall! www.babyliciousbaby.blogspot.com
I'm glad you mentioned the change from CHECK to STRIPE. We actually had so many comments that the checks were too bold, that we changed it to the stripe (around the office we call it "happier") but that tells me Target needs an updated photo! Thank you for that.

In any event - all the best with the adoption!

Elizabeth said...

I agree with you -- "Babylicious" sounds like you plan to eat the baby. (Confidential to the social services people: Susan and Mike do ***Not*** plan to eat the baby.)

The room looks awesome! That is going to be one chic baby.

Unknown said...

"Babylicious" sounds very "Fergie" - good thing it's a great pattern or I might need that recommendation letter back! Just kidding! :)

How do you get all the celebrity comments? You da woman!

Cindy said...

I HATE the licious guy on Project Runway. He needs a new catch phrase. And less tanning.

That color is great! Looks like everything is coming together.