Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Extended Stay Suites

Our MI attorney sent us a bunch of places to look at staying in the county where we will finalize the adoption. I had looked at these extended stay places before, when the General was moving to DC and I had a bit of sticker shock then, which was 5 1/2 years ago. I was dreading what the price would add up to on a 3 week stay--the absolute worst case scenario if everything goes totally crazy.

Life outside the DC area is pretty nice. It's looking like the total hotel costs will be about $1500 if we have to stay the full time--hopefully we'll stay one week less than that, so it'll cost about $1000. That is definitely doable.

We are taking baby steps to ensure that we don't go crazy with waiting. Things like this give us something to keep our minds busy and active.

The great debate raging in my head is whether we should fly there and rent a car or if we should drive. Driving has advantages--we can take all our gear with us, don't have to pay extra to fly and then rent a car. It also has disadvantages--namely taking forever to get out there and forever to get back. And if I haven't been sleeping well with a newborn and I am the sole driver, that could spell big trouble. The debate rages on.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

maybe Michael has to stay up with him since he's not driving????

my knew jerk reaction was ooooo, I'll come and help you drive home, but then I realized that wouldn't help much! :) I can't take 3 weeks off and you wouldn't need me other than to drive!

There's a gal at school who is pregant and due on April 13, I should ask her if I can take a picture of her...I'm sure she looks like what your birthmom looks like!

Cindy said...

There are disadvantages to both ways of travel - with a newborn. He could hate the car seat - which, on a 13 hour road trip would just about kill you. Plus, you're going to have to stop about every 2 hours to feed the baby, change him, let him get out of the seat a while. Traveling with a baby takes way more time than you would think.

Even though traveling by air would be more expensive, I think it would be the obviously quicker, and easier way. You don't have to pay for a seat for the newborn. They can sit on your lap. Get a sling (I have some you could borrow), and keep the baby in that. Let him use a pacifier during take off and landing to help with the ear popping.

You can hold him during the flight and get up and walk around and such.

The obvious drawbacks to flying are the recirculated air - I always get sick after flying- the spitting up - bring about 40 changes of clothes, for you and baby. :) And if he cries the entire time, you'll have a planeful of people who don't like you.

It's a tough choice. I'm a driver all the way. We drive everywhere. But in this case, I might take a plane.

Lauren said...

I am in the process of checking with my friend who works for Marriott...I know they have some extended stay properties, and she gets me a pretty good discount. So I'm checking to see if I can get you the discount, too.

Flying, although expensive, sounds like it might be the best option, after reading Cindy's comment.

Also, I've hear that giving the baby a bottle during takeoff/landing is also good for the ear popping.

Lara said...

Fly. It will be worth the money to not have a superlong drive with a baby. And to not have to worry whether or not you're tired. And to not spend the entire trip to MI thinking "when the **** are we finally gonna GET there?" Trust me, the anticipation will be killing you at that point. :) Are you planning to head up before her due date or when you get the call that she's in labor?

manda said...

Drive. Yeck... recycled airplane air. Seriously. After our girls were born (prematurely of course) we were told that it wouldn't be safe to take them in an airplane for a while.